Tuesday, July 17, 2007

#16 Learning about Wikis

Alright, I'll admit to being familiar with wikis and editing them already. I find wikis a great resource for sharing and collaboration. They can be visually pleasing and useful at the same time.

I think that all libraries should start using wikis in their committee work. There really is no excuse not too. I mean, you require that your employees have some sort of computer skill, and let's face it, if you can find the website on the internet, login and then click the edit button, you're pretty well set to use the wiki. Group work and projects would be so much simpler, like some of the articles said. There wouldn't be emails and documents flying all over the place.

I like using PBwiki, I have actually created a wiki there for the staff at HCPL to use as a resource from the spring trainings that I put on. PBwiki is very user-friendly and if you wanted to work with HTML, it gives you that option.

In looking at the first 5 wikis in the list, I found they were each different in their own way. Some were more aesthetically pleasing than others...I don't really enjoy looking at ones that are merely a list of topics. Break it up, add some interest, it doesn't take a lot of work. I even found some resources to bookmark for professional purposes, so I was excited. All in all, a useful exercise based on the info I was able to learn that was new to me.

No comments: