Friday, July 6, 2007

#9 Exploring Merlin, etc.

Well, Merlin is very intersting, although not quite as important to me anymore since I'm not working in a library in Maryland. However, if I was still there I would be really excited about it! It was a great way to bring together learning information. For instance, I visited the Social Networking links and found many wonderful things. In fact, if SitePal was free (sorry, jumping to the gaming and avatars now) I would totally create one of those. Think of the library possibilities, you could have a virtual librarian talking to patrons who logged on to the library's website! And the Force Food game was very interesting, and could definitely be used by teachers. While at Merlin I also visited the HCPL Technology Plan.

Next I went on to using a couple of the feed search tools. I didn't like Topix at all, in fact, I couldn't figure out how to subscribe to a feed. I did find it interesting that it knew right away what city I was in though! I preferred Feedster! It was easy and I found some additional feeds to subscribe to, I'm up to 17 feeds now! I liked the Widget idea and am thinking of creating one and seeing if I can add it to my blog. If you see it appear, I was successful. As for other ways I found feeds, well, I did it the good old-fashioned way and just visited sites I usually go to and looked for the feed button and then added them!

And now it's time to take a break. More technology on another day!

1 comment:

SP said...

Hi there,

This is Vanessa from SitePal. Thanks for mentioning us in your post! In fact, you can try SitePal free for 15 days, or try our sister site, Voki.com, for absolutely FREE customizable avatars for your blog.

You might be interested in checking out our new SitePal Virtual Translator demo. Type anything you want, and an animated character will translate it for you and speak it in another language of your choice!
http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_tran_example.php?sitepal

For more demos you can go here: http://www.sitepal.com/demos

Thanks and be well.